Thursday, September 16, 2021

 The Way We Were

You know how hearing a song takes you back to a time in the distant past? 
You almost feel like you are there?
Yesterday I edited some digitized cassettes of my daughters’ music in high school and college.

Concertos with orchestras – Mozart, Schumann, Beethoven, Liszt, Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff.  That took hours.
So I took a break and edited a little reel-to-reel tape from 1976. 

Suddenly I was back in the living room of our little ranch house.
Jeanne was 6, Karen was 3 and Bobby was a baby crawling around.
 
Jeanne was practicing on our spinet piano adding her own commentary in her little girl voice.  It was usually about the music
“Scales and contrary minor” - “I can do The Entertainer” - “Here comes the one I always wanted” - “America 76 – the WHOLE book”

But my favorite was the sisters’ interchange with baby Bobby squealing in the background
Jeanne – “Quiet Karen, the tape recorder has to have me on it, not you”
Karen – “Now it has me on it, not you, ha ha”

We lived our lives right on top of each other – in the LIVING room.

This Christmas photo some years later gives an idea of our confined space












We had no idea where all this would lead.  We kept adding instruments






















Fortunately, they got along well and as teenagers the girls accompanied each other’s concertos. Saved me a lot of money at competitions
By then we had 3 pianos – a Steinway Grand that we bought used (instead of the new car we needed) a Baldwin studio and the old spinet.

The Steinway took up a huge part of our living room.
The other 2 were in an alcove off our bedroom. 
Jeanne also played electric bass with a church group and its HUGE speaker took up another big chunk of the room




















Trumpet, flute and trombone were their band instruments.

Follow-up note: Only Jeanne was a Music Major.  Karen became an engineer although in 1992 she was the first non music major to win the State Concerto Competition.
Bobby played piano too.  He was very good but quit before high school.  It wasn’t what boys did and he did have 2 hard acts to follow.
 
When his son was old enough for music lessons, he bought him a drum set  LOL


22 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. Beautiful children. Beautiful music.
    🎶 🎸 🎻 🎹 🥁 🧑‍🎤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Folks we purchased our home from used the formal dining room as their music room and the parents and single child must have had 8 to 10 instruments set up and ready to play when we looked at it with our realtor.

    Parents purchased a guitar for me and it turned out that I am tone deaf. Oh well.

    Read your Goggle group comment earlier about the 3 children being born 3 years apart within 3 weeks of one another. My Mom's birthday was Feb 28 and 3 of us 4 sisters were born Mar 9, 19, 27 so we had a month of celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought myself a guitar at age 20 and tried to learn from a PBS TV show. Good enough for chords from "Folk Music Today" - a lot of Bob Dylan songs

      Delete
  3. Music can bring back the best of memories .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, it's like I was suddenly back in my younger body

      Delete
  4. Precious memories there! Reminds me of some of our old family photos, too. Music was part of just about every family gathering, but only one grew up to make it her profession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie married into a family just like that. They could sing harmony automatically.

      Delete
  5. My daughter enjoyed the piano until she left for college. I have fond memories of her recitals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recitals and other performances were a nice memory. Competitions could be stressful, for me anyway. After they played, I could hear an audible giggle & sign on the tape.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful memories thank you for sharing them with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now it has me on it, not you 😂 lol
    The joy of siblings! And music! I love hearing your story. What great memories! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a musical family. I love hearing about your memories and also love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I love your memories! My mother sent me for piano lessons but it just never took with me. It was the practicing I guess. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun blog!! You supported (tolerated??) a whole lotta noise in a small space!! Young girl across the street from us is just beginning to learn trumpet for highschool band . . . brings back a lot of memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such great memories. Thanks for sharing them with us! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet, love the photos,growing up with three sisters in a small townhouse, we were all on top of each other. So nice the music...music brings us all together. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you and hoping you are well ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful memories and what sweet pictures!

    Thanks for sharing.

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eileen I couldn't find your email address. Wondered if you were going to plan a walk? I think we are almost if not already finished with our last walk. Wherever You want to go we will follow. Susiemt and Thoms1

    ReplyDelete