Thursday, September 9, 2021

September 22, 1956 - 65 Years ago

 I remember when my Dad took me to "Make a Record" (78 rpm)

I sang a popular song & repeated it
Que Sera Sera

Then I sang a hymn (like a good Catholic School girl) Twice

Daily Daily Sing to Mary

I was 9 and was so happy to go home with a 78 rpm record of ME.

“Que Sera Sera” was a popular song at that time.

The date is especially significant since exactly 13 years later our daughter Jeanne was born.

“What will be, will be!”

I wanted SO MUCH to sing and do stuff – music, sports, travel.
It just wasn’t possible.  Organized sports (like the PAL – Police Athletic League) were boys only. Even the church childrens’ choir was “boys only”
There was a neighborhood “Boys Club” too.  Lots of stuff there that I heard about and wasn’t able to participate in.

At least the gender barriers have decreased over time. 
However, still today, lessons, activities, access to facilities and the ability to travel requires money and an environment where it is encouraged and opportunity provided.

So many still face those barriers. 

9 comments:

  1. What absolutely precious memories! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely memories thank you

    Travel may come again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your great memories tapped into some of mine, thank you.

    We had girl's intramural sports teams in junior and senior high school here in Central Texas (I am 72). Some of the stronger participants went on to participate in citywide competitions with girls from other schools. At the awards ceremony at the end of seventh grade I was pleasantly surprised to receive my own letter sweater with a letter in academics and one in sports. The boys got letter jackets. I added several more letters in both areas before high-school graduation.

    Our church had gender-mixed teams for volleyball and bowling which I participated in well into my late 20's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing memory you have of your dad taking you to make that record! And even more amazing that you are able to access it and share it still! Thank you for this special peek into the younger version of you. BTW, you had a fine voice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Que Sera Sera by Doris Day. I sang that song to all my children. Not many choices for girls back in the day. Agree...times have changed for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember being told no and I fought it all my adult working life. It was gratifying to see some barriers fall for my daughter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was one of the first girls to compete in cycling back in the 70s, they did not know what to do with us so someone would shove 5 bucks in an envelope for the first girl finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember in the early 60's my older sister and I along with my two cousins made a recording of Sugar in the morning. I wonder whatever happened to it. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome! It is so great you have so many of your memories available to you. So many of my family memories have been lost.... Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete