Thursday, August 26, 2021

“Stop Whining and Find Something to Do” - An Update – Where I’ve Been

 It’s been over a month since I blogged about my unplanned summer

I did write about it on a few of the Spark “lifeboat” groups I’ve joined.

This is a general update

After I stupidly decided to “hop” for a fitness survey in June, my injury was finally diagnosed by MRI on August 9th
I have a “tear in the posterior horn of my medial meniscus”
Fortunately, I had one of these in my other knee in 2017, so I know that it will heal with treatment and TIME

I decided to continue with rehab exercises only at home.  I have a treadmill, a bike, resistance bands and a whole lot of stairs.
This is preferable to rehab with a therapist because of all the clients who refuse to follow Covid safety guidelines.
Not even the death of a well known church member and the hospitalization of others has convinced our majority to get vaccinated or at least wear a mask indoors around other people.

While I gradually increased my walking time & distance, I kept up with my upper body exercise with my set of hand weights.

Then on August 19th, I cut my hand on a big sharp knife while emptying the dishwasher.  My DH Joe bought a set of new knives to process our garden produce. They are way beyond anything necessary to cut vegetables.  Lots of blood in the sink and stitches required.  The cut was on my very dominant right hand and limited its use.

That ended hand weight exercise and even my ability to type. 
The stitches were removed yesterday and my fingers are working fine. I was lucky actually.  It could have been much worse.
 
Meanwhile, I have buried myself in a very emotional project – organizing & indexing over 100 cassette tapes of my children’s music
Some of you may remember my DD Jeannie from Spark (Hayburner1969) and how she returned to piano competition in 2016 after 25 years
What you likely did not know is that her early career included performing with her piano partner.  They even won a trip together to NYC.
Hearing these little girls play again is emotional because Jeannie’s partner Mimi died at age 13. 

I’ve listened to about 50 hours of the recordings and I’m about half way done.
I’m using “Audacity” software to trim sections of each tape in separate files.  I’m creating a new section on my website – a family archive of an important part of our lives.
At one point we had 3 pianos so they could all practice at the same time.   Also flute, string bass, trumpet and trombone echoed through the house. 
A few tapes are of Community Theater productions.  Jeannie had child solos while I was in the chorus and sewed a lot of costumes. 

Summer is almost over – not what I planned, but I know others have had much worse to deal with.
I am grateful that I can type again and can now walk 4 miles over the course of the day in 1 mile intervals. 

I am also grateful for my online connections.  I’ve been reading even if not able to respond much.
Stay safe, stay well

Eileen

17 comments:

  1. Oh Eileen! I am so happy to hear that your hand is healed and it wasn't worse. I am doing something similar this summer, when Spark closed I played with a blog and then lost it because of something I did (long story) and now I am blogging memories, old walks, family recipes and tales and was told yesterday that my oldest is actually reading every one of them and loves them. I am loving blogging more than ever now too so my writing is back. So happy to catch up with you and hope you can catch up with me. Hugs and Sparkles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found you, commented and added you to my reading list!

      Delete
  2. You clearly have some pent up demand here... you've been missed. I can't believe that Summer is ending "so soon". You can't tell it from the temperatures this week, mind you, but we know it's winding down from the sounds and the angle of the light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful history that you recorded, so much more than just memories. I love the image of 3 pianos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we moved from Ohio to VA in 1983, the movers were shocked - 3 pianos? And one was a Steinway Grand. Fortunately that one could be taken apart for shipment. The legs came off,

      Delete
  4. I meant to add MaryAnn aka Sunnybeachgirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’ve had a very rough time! It must be a big relief to be coming out the other side of it. Youhave a very creative family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to hear from you. Sorry for your summer difficulties but sounds like you have persevered. What a wonderful treasure you are adding to your family history!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear you are on the mend. Recording family history is a noble, time-consuming project. Eventually folks who seem disinterested genie projects, become interested in their own time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Sometimes it even skips a generation. Parents who were uninterested in the stories of their immigrant parents have children who now are researching their roots (like me)

      Delete
  8. How great to hear that you are healing from both injuries and on the mend. If there's a positive side to the injuries, surely reliving those memorable memories as you sort them, must have caused you so much pleasure.

    For me, I am so happy that you are on MFP and posting here. You have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are back online, missed you. Wonderful to have that project to complete it sounds like a lot of work and joy as you remember each practice at home and away.
    It will be listened to a lot, a measure of your love for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you are improving. Isn't it odd how things are going smoothly, then WHAM! I've had a few of those summers.

    Your last blog prompted me to rethink getting those tapes changed so everyone can have them, not just look at my VCR that I've so smartly connected to my "smart" TV. High school and community theater where my daughter had many of the leads. Her college recitals and then a few sneaky recordings at Alice Tully Hall when she was in a group! I was the covert recorder.
    But so much work!

    Get "more" better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much is recorded nowdays that we forget the effort it took to document events in olden times. I remember sneaking my Sony tape recorder into a few performances.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy that you are doing much better. Everyone at our fitness center has to wear a mask. The employees and the clients. They close the fitness center everyday at noon for cleaning for a half hour. The clients also have to wipe down the machines before and after use. I feel pretty safe when I am in the facility.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, I'm just getting caught up with you. Ugh you've had some challenges this summer - and your emotional project of music sounds like it has it's own moments. I also don't write much here as I thought I would (and I'm on a different platform). Take good care Eileen!

    ReplyDelete