Saturday, July 24, 2021

“Stop Whining and Find Something to Do”

Downton Abbey fans may remember that advice from the Dowager to her granddaughter (Lady Edith, jilted at the altar).

My summer hasn’t been what I intended.  After my stupid (hard to diagnose) leg injury, I’ve been in rehab for 4 weeks.  While there has been improvement, I have not been able to return to my normal fitness routine without setbacks.  So now I’m scheduled for an MRI AND been prescribed Diclofenac, an anti-inflammatory drug a lot stronger than Advil.  Overnight I felt almost normal but will follow my doc’s advice “do not stress your leg.”  Rehab is on hold except for easy home exercise until the MRI discovers exactly what damage I did to myself. 

Here is part of my project

These are 2 boxes of the 100+ cassettes I have recorded of my 3 children’s music competitions and performances (1975 – 1993). 
After that they were on their own. 









All are labelled with date and event and the majority have detailed contents of repertoire on assorted index cards, note and legal pad paper.

My goal is to transcribe all this into organized spreadsheets and arrange to have the tapes transferred to digital format of all those they want to keep.

Many are tapes of lessons and assorted practice.  Surprisingly they are quite interested in those as well. 
We have the equipment to do this ourselves and have done a few over the years, but this is WAY too many.  Time to pay a guy.

I have several reel to reel tapes too.  Once upon a time cassette recorders were “new technology”
We bought a VCR way back in 1978 to record their local TV appearances.  Never did buy a video recorder though.  Never could have imagined how easily it is done now.

Fortunately, the later years, including Jeanne’s return to competition in 2016 (Cliburn) were automatically recorded for purchase. 
When she performed in Europe, it was great to be was able to sit back and enjoy it without dealing with the old, very bulky recording devices that I remember using. 

This will be pricey, but considering we haven’t travelled since Feb 2020, it’s worth it to spend some money to preserve an important part of family history.

So between my injury and our increasing Covid numbers it’s time to follow the Dowager’s advice.

The entire quote began “You are an intelligent woman with a brain…”  so I better stop whining and complete the project in front of me.

18 comments:

  1. Good luck with that project. Wishing you the best with the MRI outcome and, please, do be careful ... especially, since you're on a strong anti-inflammatory that's dulling the body's ability to recognize that it is injured and needs to be careful. ~ JEANKNEE

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are emphatically NOT a whiner -- you're dealing bravely and stoically with a very unpleasant situation!! And JEANKNEE is giving you good advice which I simply will echo!! So cool that you are preserving your children's music and yes I agree: one of those things it's absolutely worth spending money having somebody else do for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS a funny quote. You've given me some ideas for all the marching band, plays, and recitals I've got on tape.
    Follow the good advice of your medical people. Trust me
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness what a loving and important project - and it sounds like the children are appreciative. As for the injury, I do hope the cause can be determined. Too often the medical community just prescribes medication...that is frustrating. Praying for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After 70 there seems to be more need for doctors but less satisfactory diagnosis of the problem. followed by prescriptions with pages of side effects. Stay quiet, stay away from the cookies and sending healing thoughts to you

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a good project to be involved in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pray you get some answers& relief. I know with my DH all tests,medicines.. "Dog and pony show" can be frustrating. I feel you are very aware of yourself and won't allow for the "parade" without answers.

    What an awesome project!!! I have so many photos, and a courasal of photos of my in laws..protector slides. Slowly I will get everything digitel.

    I love your positive outlook.keep it....Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like an engaging, enjoyable project you can do sitting down while you recover from your injury. I sure hope everything is clarified soon and you can get back to more fitness activities. YouTube videos with seated exercise routines really helped me get my strength back after knee replacement surgery, and they're helping me stay strong until I get the other knee done. Highly recommend.

    What a wonderful childhood your children had, and parents who attended and recorded their musical competitions. It is so fortunate that you have saved all the videos and are making them viewable for later generations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! You are so not a whiner and you’re finding plenty to do! That’s a big project to undertake and your children will be so happy with the results. I did something similar in the reverse direction - photos from digital to paper for Son and DIL. They were very happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm glad you're doing what's needed to diagnose and treat your leg well; you'll be wanting to use it down the road. I'm using the same med in gel form for my left knee ... osteoarthritis, and it seems to help.

    I just picked up my interview with Grandma Smith reformated to usb on Monday. It was not bad price-wise. I've listened to two of the seven "sides" of the cassettes and it was wonderful and difficult at the same time. I interviewed her in 1987 for a history class project, and hadn't listened to the tapes since. The listening puts me right back sitting with her at the kitchen table. I'd provided my dad and uncles with copies of the cassettes at the time, and now will send a usb to my remaining uncle and my first cousins from my other uncle.

    Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool that you have those memories! I am sure that it still hurts to hear her but I think that is wonderful!

      Delete
  11. Oh I am sorry to hear about your leg. I will pray for your MRI results to show why. Your project sounds great. I am glad you will have it done. Hope your husband, Joe is doing good. Our area virus cases are big. Take care while you wait for the results.
    Hugs and smiles, Debbie/Yellow09red

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry to hear about your leg and I hope the doctors can help you quick. That sounds like an awesome project! I have about 40 years of pictures that I want to digitize but so far I have not found much time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss you adding steps to our walk but follow the Doctor's orders! I am still in Montana so don't have Thoms1 to crack the whip! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. so sorry about your leg and sometimes it is just so hard to take it easy (amazing to write that after my early years of doing almost nothing!). Love the cassette project and look forward to listening to some of that piano.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see you as a winner not a whiner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Second attempt: I see you as a winner, not a whiner.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susie is home now from Montana. She got home the evening of the 3rd bringing my sister with her. We had a lot of activities planned but low and behold they came down with Covid 19. Since they were both vaccinated and wore masks the entire time they traveled it was still easy to pick up and did turn out to be a light case. All activities were cancelled and everyone who they came into contact with had to be tested. Everyone we heard from including my husband an myself were negative. The pandemic is still with us so my advice to anyone is mask up, get vaccinated and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete